My opinion on Hypertext I


By enabling users to travel from one piece to another, the working principles of hypertext, as for me, can be seen more than linking the documents with each other but as nonlinear thinking that allows both the audience and practitioners to enhance the experience of creating and perceiving the output. Since hypertexts already embody multiple paths and it's linked to text/words, I thought it would be more relevant if I do my research combining hypertext with literature. I have deliberately picked this keyword as I believe it touches what I do and what I want to do as editor-cum-book designer as well. 



Hypertext Definition:


text stored in a computer system that contains links that allow the user to move from one piece of text or document to another

  • a hypertext link on the internet

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/hypertext#:~:text=%2F%CB%88ha%C9%AAp%C9%99rtekst%2F,text%20or%20document%20to%20another



My intention, for example, is always to look for building up multiple paths to present either written or visual materials in my works. Yet, my research on hypertext showed me that it's mostly related to computer sciences, which might be confusing and misleading. Therefore, I feel the urge here to change my research to nonlinearity+literature.

One of my favorite childhood readings game-books, for example, branches the narrative through various paths, mostly numbered paragraphs or pages. This approach empowers the reader to move from one page to another as hypertext does. Presumably, these books operate a form of nonlinear thinking, they also challenge the periodic eye movement and arbitrary action of turning pages that I see as a design challenge.


''nonlinear. adjective. If you describe something as non-linear, you mean that it does not progress or develop smoothly from one stage to the next in a logical way. Instead, it makes sudden changes, or seems to develop in different directions at the same time.''


https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/nonlinear


 

  

Nonlinear Ergodic Literature Examples: Convergent + Free Roaming




 




http://jakecaregamebooks.blogspot.com/2012/07/classifying-and-rating-linearity.html



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On the way to Nonlinearity in Literature: Time

My New Definition of Nonlinearity and Literature